I found out today that your voice sounds different to you than it does to everyone else, something to do with the bones in your ears and i just
that is accurate. your voice sounds different because your sphenoid (the bone at the base of your head) separates your ear from your vocal chords so when you are speaking you sound different to yourself than to anyone else. your actual voice sounds quite a lot like your recorded voice, but do not worry: it’s not as bad as you think.
seven-year-old girl has become the first child leukaemia patient to be successfully treated by doctors using a disabled form of the virus that causes Aids to reprogramme the immune system.
When chemotherapy failed to work for Emily Whitehead, diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, she underwent a new experimental treatment at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
It involved tricking her immune system into fighting the cancer cells.
Dr Stephan Grupp, Director of the Centre for Childhood Cancer Research at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, told CBS: “We’ve treated the first couple of patients and we’ve been blown away by the results”.
They’ve been very exciting.
“We collect cells of the immune system from a patient, so we use the patient’s own cells. We put in a new gene in those cells that makes the cells go after cancer cells and then we put those cells back in the patient.”
CREYS BECAUSE SCIENCE IS WINNING
oh gosh wow what great news ;u;
Colorized electron micrograph of HIV budding from a lymphocyte.
The Rock Stars of Gastroenterology
This is by far one of the most bad-ass things to happen to medicine since the introduction of Penicillin!
In an exhibition called Body Worlds, real human bodies are shown thanks to a special plastination technique, preserving every muscle, organ, vessel and hair in detail.
I’ve spent over a week trying to write a post about my experience at the morgue, specifically the coroner’s office. Initially, I was very excited. “How badass is this?” I thought to myself.
But I’m going to be honest: the whole thing left me feeling pretty messed-up inside.
omg guess what i found out today
that falling feeling when you wake up suddenly in bed
is because when you were dropping off you heart rate slowed down too fast so your brain thought you were dying so it tried waking you up immediatly
thank u brain~
The consensus among researchers is that, as the muscles begin to slack and go into a restful state as sleep is entered, the brain senses these relaxation signals and misinterprets them as indications of falling. The brain then sends signals to arm and leg muscles in an attempt to regain balance. This misinterpretation that takes place in the brain may also be responsible for the “falling” dreams that accompany the falling sensation. These “dreams” are not really normal dreams, as they are not produced from REM sleep, but rather more like daydream or hallucination in response to the body’s sensations.
My girlfriend recently got a cornea transplant. Here is a high res image of the stitches in her eye
Disgusting? You mean amazing? Think of the medical marvel this is.
this was on the news yesterday! so cool omg
This is seriously amazing. Like, holy crap.
Someone just showed me a picture of mice/rats that had been tested on in a lab. The poor things had huge tumors growing all over their bodies. You could tell by how they looked that they were suffering.
What I wonder is how anyone could torture an innocent creature like that every day of their lives and call it science. Testing on those animals does nothing for us as a human race except make us despicable and disgusting. How can anyone simply sit by tolerate that?
have you ever taken any medicine/drug for any of your health problems?
antibiotics, perhaps? or vaccines?
because those were discovered through animal testing and guess what, they’re necessary if we want to survive a surgery or a bronchitis. it does something for the human race, and it’s called surviving.
I don’t think most medications or drugs help people. I believe that they do more harm than good, both to humans and to the animals they are tested on.
Think about it. If a drug or vaccine can cause cancer, reproductive harm and other problems to a small animal, think of what that drug is doing to your body. More often than not they will still allow a drug to go on the market even after it has been shown to cause harm to the animals they test on.
As for vaccines, I have never been vaccinated in my life, nor do I ever get a flu shot or any of that other nonsense. Vaccines were not created to protect you. They are a form of population control.
There are many other natural, alternative cures that do not have to be tested on animals. The big drug companies simply do not allow those natural, cruelty free options to be available because they cannot make money off of them.
Torturing innocent animals does nothing for the human race and it should be outlawed.
I may be biased because I study medicine in its tiniest particles, so I know EXACTLY what drugs do on your body, or maybe because my dad has done research since he was 20 and has always worked for a pharmaceutic company, BUT.
You have no idea how many trials and test the drugs go through.
“Think about it. If a drug or vaccine can cause cancer, reproductive harm and other problems to a small animal, think of what that drug is doing to your body. More often than not they will still allow a drug to go on the market even after it has been shown to cause harm to the animals they test on.”
Exactly what drug or vaccine can cause cancer? The only answer I found was that the same dose used on humans of certain types of drugs, in rodents can cause cancer. WELL BIG NEWSFLASH. Human doses and rodent doses cannot be the same, as we have very different body mass.
Also, let me tell you something about how drugs are created by us evil human beings who scare the population with ghosts of diseases that never existed AND SURELY WE CANNOT CURE:
• a normal drug usually takes 10 years from its creation to its commercialization
• it is VERY expensive to create, test, and commercialize a drug, so if it all goes to shit, surely people will be fired and it’s a general failure.
• when the drug is created, the first step is the screening: it’s led to test which other drugs it may interfere with.
• clinical tests: the first tests are usually done on animals, but not on just any animal. For example, our brain and nervous system are very similar to the monkeys’, while our white cells are very similar to rodents’, as well as our hormonal growth. now, for this step there are numerous and various strict rules that you can read here (this is the US law, obviously the laws are pretty similar from state to state). what’s important to stress here, is that they need perfectly healthy and fed animals to do this. they do not torture or cause harm on the animals because this would be counterproductive in the effective drug testing.
• observation of results, including tiny modifications of the chemicals of the drug, based on the animal’s response.
• new observation to see if it really works
• the drug is ready to be tested on humans: this is what they call a clinical trial. they test the drug on consenting healthy people first, for a year, and study the effects. then they study the proper dose on either consenting healthy people or on consenting diseased patients that may benefit from the effects of the drug, for the duration of 2-3 years. then they test the drug on consenting hospitalized patients for 3-4 years confronting the drug’s effects to other famous drugs.then they finally launch the drug on commerce, and observe the effect on the population for about 6 months.
if a drug kills patients or causes problems such as cancer, you can be sure IT WILL BE SUSPENDED FROM SELLING IMMEDIATELY. not only because it’s obviously dangerous, but because the company that is selling the product will have enormous deficit, and therefore will lose its credibility internationally.
i’m sure that believing that drugs is just population control is way easier than understanding how difficult the process is, but the thing is - if there really were alternative natural (what, drugs are not natural? they are chemicals, exactly like the ones we have in our body, just in different arrangements) method, do you really think people would not put their hands on it to make money?
Within 10 weeks, about two-thirds of the animals had recovered some hearing. On average, the animals recovered about 46 per cent of their hearing, as measured by their ability to respond to sounds of varying volume.
1. Nerve impulses in the brain can travel at a speed of 170 miles per hour. Also information travels at different speeds in different types of neuron.
2, The brain generates approximately the same amount of energy as a 10watt light bulb (both when you’re awake and asleep).
3. The human brain is able to store more information than The National Archives of Britain (which contains over 900 years of history).
4. The brain makes up around 2% of body mass but uses 20% of the oxygen in the bloodstream.
5. The brain works harder during the night than during the day.
6. It isn’t possible to tickle yourself as the cerebellum warns other parts of the brain that you are about to tickle yourself. As a result, the brain ignores the sensation.
7. Those who like to ride on roller coasters have a greater risk of developing a blood clot in the brain.
8. Reading aloud to young children stimulates brain development.
9. If the brain releases too much dopamine it can result in the person being unable to experience pleasure.
10. Thinking of the person you’re passionately in love with, causes lights to go on all over the brain.
“Thinking of the person you’re passionately in love with, causes LIGHTS TO GO ON ALL OVER THE BRAIN”?!? Lights?!
Also, the brain “works harder” at night than during the day: if you meant during sleep, the brain actually works way less, because the brainwave patterns slow down when you’re sleeping and not alert. If you just meant during nighttime but in the awake stage, then it depends on the level of light in the place you’re in.
This is so cool. We don’t even feel that. A childs body is so magical and fascinating. I am glad I want to be a Pediatrican.
a child’s skull before losing baby teeth.
CHILDREN ARE FREAKS
That is the most fascinating thing i have seen. In like ever.
pretty sure i’ve reblogged this too many times
oh my god
I’ve always wanted to know what it looks like having baby teeth with adult teeth underneath !
this makes me feel fucking ill oh my god
Pancreatic cancer cells, grown in culture